Job Posting: Statewide Legislative Coordinator
The Chief Defenders Association of New York (CDANY) is seeking an energetic, community driven part- time Statewide Legislative Coordinator. This person will assist our membership driven developing organizational in moving law reform in the criminal legal and family regulatory systems. Candidates should have a broad understanding of the political process on New York State and county levels, as well as a demonstrated commitment to racial equity, fairness and justice.
The Statewide Legislative Coordinator will work closely with the organization’s Legislative Committee and Board of Directors, as well with various external stakeholder and community partners to set priorities and implement change.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE and JOB DUTIES
- ·Drafting and reviewing legislative proposals on criminal and family legal issues and contributing to the drafting of memoranda and testimony expressing CDANY’s views on such proposals.
- Monitoring legislative calendars, hearing schedules and other important events related to the New York State legislature.
- Track and analyze legislative bills.
- Organizing lobby days, participation in legislative caucus conferences, and similar events.
- Representing the CDANY in coalitions across a broad range of criminal justice policy issues and working with those coalitions to coordinate campaigns.
- Working with colleagues to brief legislators and policy-makers on issues of importance to CDANY and its clients.
- Ability to travel to Albany for meetings, hearings, or key strategizing sessions is a must. Strong media skills are also needed to coordinate press conferences, press releases and social media communications.
- Ensuring consistent internal coordination and communication about policy advocacy efforts within with CDANY members.
- Must be available for periodic presentations to update Officers, Board of Directors and Membership of CDANY on progress in advancing the legislative agenda, with more frequent updates anticipated at the culmination of the legislative session.
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Understanding of criminal and family law and NYS rule-making policy and procedure.
- Strong research and analytical skills, including the ability to quickly identify and comprehend legal and policy issues
- Excellent communications skills, including strong oral advocacy and effective and persuasive writing. Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and respond quickly to external events
- Ability to work collaboratively and develop and maintain relationships with internal and external partners
- Demonstrated commitment in racial and social justice or criminal defense
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
Email cover letter, resume, references and writing sample to: email@example.com